Friday 15 October 2010

The Real Dope

While I was being a bit facetious in the caption in my previous post, this is how a real Master realises the creative potential inherent in tessellation and division of space.


One of my personal favourites is Metamorphose II (below)


I like the way the picture evolves in incremental steps from panel to panel before returning to the beginning. Although I had been aware of both works for ages, it wasn't after a long, long time that I realised that this is a perfect visual counterpart to Bach's C Major prelude from The Well Tempered Clavier which starts off simply enough with an arpeggio based on the C-chord, evolves with a single point mutation from chord shape to chord shape before resolving back satisfactorily into C. I used to think that Douglas Hofstadter's yoking together of the troika in "Gödel, Escher and Bach" was a bit forced, but this made me change my mind somewhat.


No comments:

Post a Comment